.info files and the 'dir' file

Hans-Joachim Widmaier hjwidmaier at web.de
Fri Apr 11 13:40:12 PDT 2008

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Alexander E. Patrakov wrote these words on 04/11/08 08:58 CST:
>
>> Yes, but could you please provide a list of such buggy packages discovered so far?
>
> I cannot be certain that my script had the stuff for this from the
> very beginning of my new LFS build, so I cannot swear the following
> are the only packages.
>
> My method is to look and see if there are any .info files in DESTDIR,
> then ensure there is also a 'dir' file. If there is no 'dir' file in
> DESTDIR (but there are .info files), then I "touch" a 'dir' file
> (create a 0-byte 'dir' file) in DESTDIR.

Since the 'dir' file can be rebuilt anytime without any problem, my
installation script simply deletes it in DESTDIR (if it exists) and
rebuilds it after relocation if there were .info files in DESTDIR.
Same on deinstallation: If .info files got deleted, just rebuild 'dir'.
Not that I ever used info---I detest it just like TheOldFellow.

If only all "shared" files were as easy to handle as 'dir'.

Hans-Joachim