.info files and the 'dir' file

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 08:18:05 PDT 2008

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Since my installation script actually looks for a /usr/share/info/dir
> file if there are any .info files being installed for a package, I've
> discovered that many packages do not update the 'dir' file after
> installing .info files.
>
> In these instances, should BLFS provide instructions to update the
> 'dir' file?

I think they should for completeness, but I'm not user how useful dir is.  On my
system, I have to page through about 1700 lines of GNU C library functions and
macros from glibc to get to a useful view of the table of contents.  Looking at
a RedHat distro, they have glibc last, but I don't know how to control setting
the order of the entries without a special script.