Versioned BLFS files repo

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 17:22:42 PDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 4:37 PM, Randy McMurchy
<randy at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> Dan Nicholson wrote these words on 04/06/08 22:56 CST:
>

>  > What does this mean for me as an editor?
>  >
>  > Consider the firefox mozconfig files. Instead of editing the firefox
>  > XML and then copying the mozconfig file over to anduin, you edit (or
>  > add) auxfiles/firefox-$version-mozconfig. This should show up on
>  > anduin within an hour. Please check that this is actually working for
>  > a little while in case there are problems.
>  >
>  > Feel free to add new support files to auxfiles/ as needed. Even some
>  > small binary files are OK, but tarballs probably need to be manually
>  > copied to anduin as before.
>  >
>  > When release comes, please remember to create a new versioned
>  > directory for 6.3. I think an svn export will work well:
>
>  I'm not sure I'm following, as I'm not really sure how the
>  method really differs. The moz files, for instance, are already
>  versioned. Putting them in a versioned directory seems redundant.

The firefox mozconfig files are an example where having a versioned
directory doesn't provide anything. However, compressdoc and the Xorg
module lists are crucial to be in a versioned subdirectory. Otherwise,
you unwittingly pull files from BLFS SVN even if you're following BLFS
6.2.0. This is the entire reason I haven't applied any of the
compressdoc changes. I want the compressdoc script in the BLFS-6.2.0
book to actually match the script you can optionally download.

>  As far as SVN control, I don't understand why we need this either.
>  It's not that I'm not in agreement, what I mean is I don't understand
>  what your intentions are, and why we need this (extra work).

Convenience. In fact, it's less work than before. Before the change:

* edit firefox.xml, changing the embedded mozconfig file as necessary
* svn commit
* dump out the mozconfig file
* copy it to anduin
* ssh to anduin and check file and permissions

After the change:

* edit firefox.xml, changing the embedded mozconfig file as necessary
* edit (or add) auxfiles/firefox-$version-mozconfig
* svn commit

In other words, you never have to interface directly to anduin to edit
or add new support files. They just show up when you drop them in your
local auxfiles directory and commit.

>  Regardless, before (or as soon as) anything is implemented it must
>  be described in detail (step by step) in the Editor's Guide.

Will do. This area of files on anduin is completely undocumented right now.

--
Dan