Versioned BLFS files repo

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 21:38:50 PDT 2008

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> Been meaning to get to this for a long time...
>
> There is currently a problem where the files repo
> (http://anduin.linuxfromscratch.org/files/BLFS/) is just a single flat
> directory. However, the files that live here are referenced from
> different versions of BLFS. This causes problems when the files
> themselves are not versioned such as compressdoc and the Xorg modules
> files. Consider compressdoc, where you copy and paste from the book,
> or download the script.
>
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/postlfs/compressdoc.html
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/stable/postlfs/compressdoc.html
>
> The scripts happen to be the same right now, but they will be
> different soon when I apply some patches people sent in. Then if you
> follow 6.2.0 and download the script, you will get something different
> than what was in 6.2.0.

The only problem is in folks following versioned BLFS books instead of SVN (this
will remain true even after the release of 6.3). Versioned BLFS books must
either die or get an errata page for each version. Look, we spend a lot of time
to fix security issues before the release, and do absolutely nothing after it.
That's at least inconsistent, counterproductive, and gives the reader a false
sense of confidence.

After introducing the errata page (or, equivalently, a branch), it indeed makes
sense to split the patches repository.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov