Versioned BLFS files repo

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 20:56:02 PDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 3:19 PM, Dan Nicholson <dbn.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I propose that there be versioned subdirectories in
>  anduin.lfs.org/files/BLFS/. One for svn, one for 6.2.0, one for 6.3,
>  etc. This will require changes in the book entities as well as the
>  render script on anduin. I think I've gotten most of these
>  straightened out.

I've now completed this along with another step I always wanted: the
support files (except for tarballs) are now controlled from SVN. Links
in the SVN book now point here:

http://anduin.linuxfromscratch.org/files/BLFS/svn/

Those files are all controlled from SVN in the auxfiles directory. I
have a cron job on anduin that keeps it updated hourly. The only
exception is the sources directory:

http://anduin.linuxfromscratch.org/files/BLFS/svn/sources/

This is just a symlink to the sources directory in the parent. We can
change this if anyone likes, but I think that the tarballs will be
versioned due to their naming and don't need to have multiple real
copies.

What does this mean for me as an editor?

Consider the firefox mozconfig files. Instead of editing the firefox
XML and then copying the mozconfig file over to anduin, you edit (or
add) auxfiles/firefox-$version-mozconfig. This should show up on
anduin within an hour. Please check that this is actually working for
a little while in case there are problems.

Feel free to add new support files to auxfiles/ as needed. Even some
small binary files are OK, but tarballs probably need to be manually
copied to anduin as before.

When release comes, please remember to create a new versioned
directory for 6.3. I think an svn export will work well:

umask 002
cd /location/on/anduin/files/BLFS
svn export svn://svn.linuxfromscratch.org/BLFS/tags/6.3/auxfiles 6.3
ln -svn ../sources 6.3/

That content will be essentially static for the release, as it should be.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Bruce, I'll contact you
about the cron job, etc.

--
Dan