Dillo - going, going....

TheOldFellow theoldfellow at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 09:35:36 PDT 2008

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:14:42 +0100
TheOldFellow <theoldfellow at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well no one screamed that it was their favourite web browser, so I'll
> comment it out of the book later today.
>
> As an aside, I built Dillo2, still very alpha, with FLTK2, in Beta.
> The result is quite good.  Lightning fast, and some nice features as a
> browser to build first and read BLFS with while you build the GTK2 and
> Firefox ziggurat.  I'll put a wiki page together for it later too.
>
> R.

Having removed Dillo-0.8.5 from the book, I've added rudimentary
instructions for building fltk2 and dillo-fltk (aka dillo2) to the
wiki, just in case anyone feels the urge to test it.

My own experience is that it's very fast to load, and does a fairly
good job of rendering LFS books - albeit without CSS.  It's more
pleasant to use than lynx or links, in my opinion.  I think (still
researching) that FLTK2 can be built with fewer dependencies once Xorg
is up.  But with modern hardware, why bother? Firefox will be along in
under an hour, even including running the GTK+ build.

There are very few FLTK2 applications around, so it isn't much use
unless you have an special use for it.

Now, if only there was a lightweight X11 implementation....

R.