[new XSL] The Index generation

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 14:14:41 PDT 2007

M.Canales.es wrote:
> El Lunes, 26 de Marzo de 2007 22:31, Bruce Dubbs escribió:
>
>> A table of contents for each chapter would be useful,
>
> That is easy to add, if wanted. In the first times it was here, but latter was
> decided to remove it, I don't remember wy.

It was just a thought, not a suggestion.

>> but I don't see a
>> use for partial indexes.  If I don't know where something is, I go to
>> the full index and search.
>>
>> Am I missing something?
>
> BLFS longindex.html is > 700 Kb, that take some time to load on a browser.
> That's the principal reason for the propossal.

I don't think I have that fast a link, but going to the web site, it
takes about 2 seconds for the LFS index and about 5 for the BLFS index.
 700 Kb isn't that much.  There are tons of sites that load
multi-megabyte images every time you visit.  In 2007, I don't think
optimizing for dial-up is appropriate.  Users with slow links would
probably download the book once and access it locally.

The big problem with multiple indexes is that one needs to know in which
index to look.  If I'm looking for something related to multimedia, I
may need to look in General Utilities, System Utilities, X Libraries,
KDE, Gnome, Multimedia Libraries, Audio Utilities, or Video Utilities.

If I look in the wrong index, I can't find what I'm looking for so I
have to look at multiple indexes.  That's wrong.