More on cairo

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 17:03:16 PDT 2007

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Randy McMurchy wrote:
>> Bruce Dubbs wrote these words on 03/19/07 17:52 CST:
>>
>>> OK.  Let me be sure I unserstand.  Remove librsvg and poppler and use
>>> GTK+-2.10.11.  Is there anything else?
>> Well, it's impossible to install GTK+ without cairo being installed
>> first. Therefore, I wouldn't have it (GTK+) on my system. I would
>> like to see cairo build properly first, then move on to the packages
>> that *require* cairo. Then, and only then, perhaps go back and
>> install cairo again using the extra packages to perform the extended
>> tests.
>>
>> At least that's how I'm seeing it. Do you agree?
>
> OK, I'll try that.  My test system is mostly for that type of thing.  I
> may have some packages already installed that need cairo (I don't recall
> for sure) but I won't need them for this test.  I'll let you know how it
> turns out.

OK, this is what I have:

cairo will be compiled with the following surface backends:
  image:         yes (always builtin)
  Xlib:          yes
  Xlib Xrender:  yes
  Quartz:        no (disabled, use --enable-quartz to enable)
  XCB:           no (disabled, use --enable-xcb to enable)
  Win32:         no (requires a Win32 platform)
  OS2:           no (disabled, use --enable-os2 to enable)
  PostScript:    yes
  PDF:           yes
  SVG:           yes
  glitz:         no (disabled, use --enable-glitz to enable)
  BeOS:          no (disabled, use --enable-beos to enable)
  DirectFB:      no (disabled, use --enable-directfb to enable)

the following font backends:
  FreeType:      yes
  Win32:         no (requires a Win32 platform)
  ATSUI:         no (disabled, use --enable-atsui to enable)

the following features:
  PNG functions: yes

and the following debug options:
  gcov support:  no
  test surfaces: no
  pdf testing:   no (requires poppler-glib >= 0.4.1)
  svg testing:   no (requires librsvg-2.0 >= 2.15.0)

15 of 121 tests did not behave as expected (3 unexpected passes)

I also got four entries of "Failed to open display:" on each test.

Failures were:
FAIL: clip-operator
FAIL: font-matrix-translation
FAIL: glyph-cache-pressure
FAIL: operator-clear
FAIL: operator-source
FAIL: select-font-face
FAIL: show-text-current-point
FAIL: text-antialias-gray
FAIL: text-pattern
FAIL: text-rotate
FAIL: unbounded-operator
FAIL: ft-text-vertical-layout-type3

And

XPASS: radial-gradient
XPASS: surface-pattern-scale-down
XPASS: surface-pattern-scale-up

Going to the system to run under X:

The "Failed to open display:" messages are gone, but the system still
did a hard hang.  The last thing in my log is PASS: device-offset.

In log1, the next test is device-offset-positive (which passed).

As far as it gets, the 2nd test has three failures:

FAIL: clip-operator
FAIL: dash-scale
FAIL: dash-state

I went ahead and deleted three tests from the Makefile:

device-offset-positive extend-pad extend-reflect

and the test completed:

19 of 118 tests did not behave as expected (1 unexpected passes)

FAIL: clip-operator
FAIL: dash-scale
FAIL: dash-state
FAIL: font-matrix-translation
FAIL: glyph-cache-pressure
FAIL: operator-clear
FAIL: operator-source
FAIL: pixman-rotate
FAIL: random-intersections
FAIL: rotate-image-surface-paint
FAIL: select-font-face
FAIL: show-text-current-point
FAIL: source-clip-scale
FAIL: text-antialias-gray
FAIL: text-pattern
FAIL: text-rotate
FAIL: unbounded-operator
FAIL: ft-text-vertical-layout-type3

and XPASS: radial-gradient

I'm continuing to investigate, but I am having a difficult time
understanding how this does a hard hang of the system.

Am I the only one to run into this problem?