Dash. [Was: Re: Exporting $PS1.]

Ag. Hatzimanikas a.hatzim at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 22:53:33 PDT 2007

On Fri, Mar 16, at 07:16 Dan Nicholson wrote:

> Anyway, I made a patch pulling in all the upstream fixes, regenerated
> the autotools, and added my not yet committed LC_ALL=C for sorting
> script fix. It's a fairly big patch since I think I was using newer
> versions of autoconf/automake than originally used.
>
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~dnicholson/patches/dash-0.5.3-upstream.patch
>
> This patch also adds an optional dependency on libedit.

Sorry I missed that one. I think, this is worths considering, putting
in the book.
If I am not mistaken Bruce Dubbs, when he raised his objection about dash, it was
because, it doesn't use readline.
And I think libedit is a replacement for readline library (with a BSD
lisence).
Correct me if I am wrong.

On Πεμ, Μάρ 15, at 07:15 Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On 3/15/07, Ag. Hatzimanikas <a.hatzim at gmail.com> wrote:
> I didn't create any symbbolic link to /bin/sh either.

> > Yep. Obviously, the /bin/sh symlink is user preference. Then there's
> > just two files, the shell and the man page.

I changed my mind on that one.

It make sense the compliant POSIX shell (Dash) to be the default sh
shell.

Note to myself:
Add the symbolic link to the ticket #2315
ln -v -sf dash /bin/sh