sudo (previously PATH=/your/head/asplode)

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Mar 17 11:32:08 PDT 2007

Jonathan Oksman wrote:
> It should also be mentioned in the book that sudo does not support
> md5 passwords natively.  I say this because I've only been able to
> use it with NOPASSWD set.  Further investigation into the source
> code reveals that this is indeed the case:

sudo works just fine on an LFS-based system without PAM. I have several
built according to the instructions in LFS and BLFS and sudo works just
as you would expect, with or without NOPASSWD.

For example, see the LFS LiveCD which is based (with very slight
modifications that are unrelated to PAM or sudo) on LFS. You can run a
test-case on it, I guarantee it will work.

If you're curious to see how it's built, all the scripts are in the svn
repo:

http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/livecd/browser/trunk

> As you can see it only allows authentication versus crypt().
> Considering an LFS system is built to store passwords via MD5, this
> explains why I am unable to sudo without NOPASSWD.

The snippet you showed seems incomplete. In any case, I know for a
certainty that what you claim isn't correct. Your problem must lie
elsewhere.

--
JH