DBus Language Bindings

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 14:11:35 PDT 2007

I'm not there yet on updating dbus, but I wanted to get some opinions
as I look at the 1.0.2 package today. The language bindings have been
split out into separate packages from the dbus core[1]. From the main
dbus repo, there are dbus-{glib,python,java} packages. Qt4 ships with
its dbus bindings, but there's also a backport of a separate package
for Qt3 bindings. This brings up some issues/questions.

1. Should the packages have separate pages? dbus-glib has a lot of
users in the gnome stack. dbus-python has some use through
gnome-python, I think. They could all be listed on a single page as
Additional Downloads, but it could get kind of hairy.

2. What about Qt? Main support comes from the Qt4 package, but we're
on Qt3 right now. Updating to dbus-1.0.2 would mean going to qt4 or
using the backport of the qt4 bindings here:

http://people.freedesktop.org/~krake/dbus-1-qt3/

I have no clue on that one. Bruce?

--
Dan