Bad situation with HAL and xfce-4.4.0

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Thu Mar 15 23:39:00 PDT 2007

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
>
>> 2) make a kernel patch (only 11 added or changed lines) that makes this
>> setting available as a module parameter for nls_base.ko (thus also allowing
>> modification at runtime via sysfs) -
>
> Do this.  Even if they don't accept it, the issue is valid and the
> kernel devs will probably fix it.

Here is a preliminary version of the patch. Everyone with experience in
kernel development is welcome to look before I submit this to LKML.

The user-visible results of this patch are:

  * Reworded the description of CONFIG_NLS_DEFAULT, because at some point in
the past it confused Jim Gifford.
  * Removed CONFIG_FAT_DEFAULT_IOCHARSET, now CONFIG_NLS_DEFAULT is used for
this purpose
  * Merged the two CONFIG_SMB_NLS_REMOTE and CONFIG_FAT_DEFAULT_CODEPAGE
options into one, named CONFIG_CODEPAGE_DEFAULT
  * Made the FAT filesystem accept both the old-style "codepage=866" mount
option (which is inconsistent with other filesystems requiring a codepage
option) and the new-style "codepage=cp866" option.
  * Made CONFIG_NLS_DEFAULT and CONFIG_CODEPAGE_DEFAULT effectively
adjustable at runtime via the following mechanisms:

    * If the nls_base.ko module is really a module, it is sufficient to
write in modprobe.conf something like this:

options nls_base iocharset=koi8-r codepage=cp866

    * If it is not a module, add this to the kernel command line in GRUB:

nls_base.iocharset=koi8-r nls_base.codepage=cp866

    * In both cases, writing into sysfs also works:

echo -n koi8-r >/sys/module/nls_base/parameters/iocharset
echo -n cp866 >/sys/module/nls_base/parameters/codepage

(of course, for the LKML submission, I will convert module_param_string to
module_param_call, so that the final newline in the third case is stripped
automatically and the -n switch is not needed)

--
Alexander E. Patrakov