Bad situation with HAL and xfce-4.4.0

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Sun Mar 11 22:54:59 PDT 2007

Dan Nicholson wrote:

> We used to have example configuration for HAL to allow passing more
> mount options to VFAT (maybe NTFS, too). Does that solve this issue?
> AFAIK, it's still applicable in hal-0.5.7.1 and is just commented in
> the book.

The configuration example no longer works, and I see no way to fix it so
that it begins to work in XFCE. I  already tried suggestions on the web for
KDE, but, after reading the code, it seems that the mounting application has
to process the volume.policy.mount_option.* and
storage.policy.default.mount_option.* namespaces by itself, which XFCE
doesn't do.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-russian/2006/12/msg00596.html (in Russian)
seems to support this theory, and the thread mentions problems with GNOME
(don't try their patch - they are hard-coding the iocharset parameter into HAL).

--
Alexander E. Patrakov