gtk+-2.8 tombstone

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 16:45:32 PST 2007

On 3/7/07, David Jensen <djensen at inebraska.com> wrote:
> Dan Nicholson wrote:
> > I've got no problems with that. Cairo-1.4.0 just came out and it's
> > supposed to be hot stuff. I would certainly wait for Randy to chime
> > in, though.
> >
> I saw that, it says an expanded API.  I expect no-one has released
> anything using that yet.
> I see gnome 2.18.0 is due out the 14th. We're at 2.14.3 :(

I lurk on the cairo mailing list, and they were trying to get it
together for gnome-2.18. I believe the new pango will make use of
anything cairo will give since they're very tightly coupled. The pango
maintainer, Behdad Esfahbad, does a lot of development on both
projects. And gtk+ handles text through pango. So, I'd expect that
many applications will be using the new cairo APIs indirectly through
pango.

> I know our gnome won't build with gtk+-2.10, I knew that in September.
> Randy released his assignments of all gtk/gnome related packages.
> Someone needs to pick them up, but I don't think it's realistic to try
> to do them all at once, as I noted, gnome-2.18.0 may be 8 days away.

I wouldn't grab all those tickets just yet. He was pretty upset with
me, but we had a conversation off-list to make peace. I'd give it a
few more days for him to reply here since I know he's pretty busy
right now.

I think it would be worthwhile for somebody to start building the
gnome-2.17/2.18 stack right now. Maybe we can jump right over
gnome-2.16 if it doesn't happen real soon.

--
Dan