A minor diff to update the vim patchlevel and a question.

Ag. Hatzimanikas a.hatzim at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 04:24:00 PST 2007

Just to be in sync with LFS,the first attachment is to update vim in 198
patchlevel,although we are now in 207.
Please apply.

Now.I would like to update the vimrc page.I think it doesn't provide
any serious enhancement as it claims.

If you agree that the page needs some updating then continue reading and
give some advice otherwise just disregard.

The second patch is just this small diff about the vimrc page.

Now,what I want to do, is to try to make the following part to
look like a list.
This is how it looks now in the browser.

if has("autocmd") …: If vim compiled with autocmd support then:

For every file with a .txt extension, limit the width of text to
78 characters. Automatically change the current directory to the
directory of the current file. Jump to the last cursor position
when you are reopening a file.

I would prefer the three lines to have a distinct difference between them,because
there no relationship between these options (other than share the same condition)
but I don't want to clutter the page with unneeded space.

Or do you think that the above paragraph is acceptable and doesn't provide
confusion?
What would you do?

Another thing that we can do is to put every explanation into comments
and place them into our vimrc and remove entirely the explanations (although
the former looks more cleaner),eg..
" If vim compiled with autocmd support then:
if has("autocmd")
"For every file with a .txt extension, limit the width of text to
"78 characters.
autocmd BufRead *.txt set tw=78
"Automatically change the current directory to the  directory of the current
"file.
autocmd BufEnter * lcd %:p:h
" Jump to the last cursor position when you are reopening a file.
autocmd BufReadPost *
\ if line("'\"") > 0 && line ("'\"") <= line("$") |
\   exe "normal g'\"" |
\ endif
endif

Please have a look first in the attached patch to see the syntax and
give some advice.

The patch was based on what other distributions do (fedora,gentoo) and also
on the vimrc_example that shipped with the vim distribution.
If there is an agreement to update the page,I would like to see if there are other
options too,that could be included in our page.
They have to be quite generic to apply for the most situations though.