new package: ksh

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 09:28:45 PST 2007

On 3/3/07, DJ Lucas <dj at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> Hey guys.  A couple of quick questions.  The new JDK build want's ksh,
> so it'll have to be added to BLFS.  Problem is, it requires several
> other packages from AT&T's open-ast project for the build of ksh only.
> I haven't looked into it too deeply (I'm seeking community approval for
> the alternative below), but I could add all of the packages to the book
> (ast-lib, nmake, pax, tw, sfio, INIT, and ksh).  Debian provides a
> single source tarball (ksh_93r-orig.tar.gz) that includes INIT and
> ast-base (all of the above except INIT).  Since the other ast open
> packages are used only for the build, does anyone have a problem with 1.
> using the Debian source tarball, and 2. calling the package ksh only
> since that is all that would be installed (or needed beyond build
> time)?  That is unless anybody knows of an autotooled version of ksh
> that doesn't require ast-lib.

I have no problem rolling them into one package. I'd kind of prefer
that we pull all the downloads from upstream, but if it's too big of a
PITA, then whatever. Looking at the fedora spec, it looks like they
unpack all the tarballs and then just do `./bin/package "read"' then
`./bin/package "make"'. Then they install the files by hand.

http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/viewcvs/devel/ksh/ksh.spec?view=markup

Another option would be to use pdksh. Apparently it's not as fully
featured as AT&T's ksh, but if all we're using it for is bootstrapping
JDK, then maybe that's enough.

http://web.cs.mun.ca/~michael/pdksh/

--
Dan