Optional editline dependencies [Was Re: r6993 - in trunk/BOOK: . introduction/welcome postlfs/shells]

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 12:42:51 PDT 2007

On 7/31/07, ag at linuxfromscratch.org <ag at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> +    <bridgehead renderas="sect4">Optional</bridgehead>
> +    (command line editor library)</para>

We have to be careful here. In the past (can't recall specifics now),
installing editline caused problems with some packages that we'd
prefer to be using readline. The "solution" has been just to not
mention editline in the book.

I don't mind having editline mentioned, and, in cases like dash, it
may provide the only means of line editing. The issue arises that you
install editline and then it causes a regression building another
package which would otherwise use readline. According to my specs,
there are quite a few BLFS packages that use readline:

Python
bc
gnupg
inetutils
libxml2
ntp
postgresql
samba
xfsprogs

I think these should be audited for editline conflicts before we can
start mentioning it again in the book. There may be others which I
don't build, too. I don't think this would be too hard, though. We may
find that the previous conflicts have been resolved.

--
Dan