Obsolete text on the "X Window System Components" page

Ag. D. Hatzimanikas a.hatzim at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 05:50:01 PDT 2007

On Tue, Jul 24, at 08:54 Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> The following text is obsolete, because there is no /etc/fonts/*.conf
> file, and DejaVu is known to Fontconfig-2.4.2 by default:
>
> > Earlier it was mentioned that |/etc/fonts/fonts.conf| could be
> > modified to use DejaVu using the default family names. Since DejaVu is
> > a replacement for Bitstream Vera fonts, it can be substituted for that
> > family. Visually inspect the |fonts.conf| to see how fonts are grouped
> > together under the generic family names within <alias> tags and a
> > preference list is created within <prefer> tags. To replace Bitstream
> > Vera with DejaVu, run the following command as the |root| user:
> >
> > sed -i 's/<family>Bitstream Vera/<family>DejaVu/' /etc/fonts/fonts.conf
> >
> > To see which fonts will be used as the generic fonts in your locale,
> > run the command *fc-match monospace*. Substitute "sans" or "serif" to
> > see the fonts that will be used for those aliases.
> >

> (thanks to Archaic for spotting this)

I will remove this obsolete text (after a communication with Alexander) later in
the night.
I don't have any problem with the DejaVu fonts (with fontconfig-2.4.2)
and also the sed doesn't really substitute anything.
My only doubt is if I have to comment out the text or removing it at all.
I am in favor to remove it entirely.

If you have any objections please speak up.

-- Ag.
http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/wiki/Hacking