X.sh in profile.xml

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 08:36:35 PDT 2007

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Dan Nicholson wrote:
>
>> I like the text you've added, but I'm not sure about /usr/X11R7 yet.
>
> I also do not think we should hard-code /usr/X11R7. It should perhaps
> be suggested, but inside replaceable tags.

I am in favor of /usr/X11 as a generic location with compatibility
symlinks as necessary.

As far as the FHS standard goes, I looked around a bit to see if there
is any discussion about he topic.  The latest version of FHS was
released January 29, 2004.  That's 3.5 years ago.  The so-called mailing
list is nothing but spam.  Is the effort still alive?

Under these circumstances, I feel slavish adherence to FHS is not
appropriate.  We can use it for input, but well reasoned variances
should not be a cause for concern.