X.sh in profile.xml

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 06:07:59 PDT 2007

On 7/29/07, Ag. D. Hatzimanikas <a.hatzim at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 29, at 06:53 David Jensen wrote:
>
> > It works for me, /usr/X11R7 is what I use.
> > We should put it to discussion?  Personally +1, but the
> > xorg default instructions should match.
> >

> The fact is that /usr/X11R6 is outdated and should be replaced anyway,
> even with a convention like "/usr/X11R7" which looks that is in common
> use and follows some kind of tradition, or by just using replaceable tags,
> like we do in the same page (profile.xml) for the i18n.sh script.

I think it should be replaceable, but I like that you've added
references to the Xorg and XFree86 pages. As for /usr/X11R7, DJ has
brought up the discussion that only something in /opt or /usr is FHS
compliant:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/x/xorg7.html

Another thing to consider here is that we've been talking about adding
a /usr/X11R6 -> $XORG_PREFIX symlink for compatibility reasons. In
that case, the need for replaceable tags would be unnecessary.

> Attached is a diff for review and suggestions.

I like the text you've added, but I'm not sure about /usr/X11R7 yet.

--
Dan