samba: nmbd stopping fails once?

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 06:00:34 PDT 2007

On 7/23/07, Jens Stroebel <drifter at bcsoft.de> wrote:
> Dan Nicholson wrote:
>
> > And this is what causes it to fail. The script is assuming that it
> > shouldn't find any more pids after the killing process. You may be
> > able to "solve" the problem just by telling killproc to use the
> > pidfile. This is more correct anyway, since you want to kill the
> > parent daemon. Try changing the bootscript to this:
> >
> > killproc -p /var/run/nmbd.pid /usr/sbin/nmbd
>
> I'll do that. [waiting time  ...] Yes, this works fine :).
> Getting the pid from the nmbd.pid file, the killproc call kills the
> parent, which terminates its child, too.
>
> > This would have the nice side effect that the child daemon (26944) is
> > not killed by kill, but rather the parent daemon (26943). I'd be
> > curious to know if the extra spawned daemon (27127) happens in this
> > case.
>
> No extra daemon with using the nmbd.pid file.

OK. I'll change the samba bootscript to reference the nmbd and smbd
pid files. It's the right thing to do, anyway. Actually, after I fixed
the pid file handling in the functions, I went on a barrage of
changing all my local bootscripts to make use of the pid files. I
should fold some of those back into the BLFS bootscripts.

--
Dan