samba: nmbd stopping fails once?

Jens Stroebel drifter at bcsoft.de
Fri Jul 20 06:37:04 PDT 2007

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On 7/20/07, Jens Stroebel <drifter at bcsoft.de> wrote:
		[...snip...]
>> the nmbd process seems unwilling to die, needing 2 times
>> killproc here.

> That's strange. I would try running things manually from a shell with
> some debugging.
>
> # /usr/sbin/nmbd -D -S -d1
> # read pid </var/run/nmbd.pid
> # kill $pid

This kills both instances of nmbd which are present after starting it up...

> It should die normally from receiving TERM. It could also be some
> stupidity in killproc. You may want to try running with tracing to see
> if anything weird jumps out.
> # . /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions
> # set -x
> # killproc /usr/sbin/nmbd

I did that and indeed, something I consider wierd did show up.

After starting:
root at bb:/usr/src/rpm> /usr/sbin/nmbd -D
root at bb:/usr/src/rpm> ps -ef |grep nmb
root     26943     1  0 15:29 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/nmbd -D
root     26944 26943  0 15:29 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/nmbd -D

there are 2 nmd processes present.
Now doing 'killproc /usr/sbin/nmbd' leaves a new one at it's failing exit:
root at bb:/usr/src/rpm> ps -ef |grep nmb
root     27127     1  0 15:31 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/nmbd -D

This process gets found at the end of killproc run and therefor the
script exists with a failure.

I've attached a log of the trace'd killproc call.

		greets,
		  jens
drifter at bcsoft.de
			23.....56.......drifting
By caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, By the beans of Java
do thoughts acquire speed,  hands acquire shaking,  the shaking
becomes a warning, By caffeine alone do I set my mind in motion