Gnome 2.18 (from the BLFS-Support list)

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 17:49:39 PDT 2007

On 7/19/07, Randy McMurchy <randy at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> Dan Nicholson wrote these words on 07/19/07 19:21 CST:
>
> > I believe it's not necessary, but helpful. hicolor-icon-theme installs
> > a theme index file at /usr/share/icons/hicolor/index.theme.
>
> How would you suggest, and on what package do we list it as a dependency
> in the GNOME instructions? This is what I'm driving at. If it's good for
> GNOME, then we need to identify that. Choices:

It's sort of tough to handle these global runtime dependencies.

> 1. Place a note in the gnome-icon-theme instructions telling about
> hicolor.

This would actually be wrong since gnome-icon-theme does the same
thing as hicolor, but in icons/gnome (and it actually has a bunch of
icons in addition to the index.theme file). So, they're separate
themes and installing the hicolor theme is a separate issue than the
gnome theme.

> 2. Make an entry in the GNOME TOC so that folks will see it as something
> they should do (see desktop-file-utils).

I think this would be best. The first app I see that installs an icon
in hicolor (thus updating the cache) is gnome-panel. Oh, I see why you
don't get errors. Most apps probably run gtk-update-icon-cache with
the -t arg, which makes it not bomb if index.theme doesn't exist.
Here's the snippet from gnome-panel:

gtk_update_icon_cache = gtk-update-icon-cache -f -t $(datadir)/icons/hicolor

install-data-hook:
        @-if test -z "$(DESTDIR)"; then \
                echo "Updating Gtk icon cache."; \
                $(gtk_update_icon_cache); \
        else \
                echo "*** Icon cache not updated.  After install, run this:"; \
                echo "***   $(gtk_update_icon_cache)"; \
        fi

That's a side issue, though. I think it would be best to put it in the
TOC before the apps start being installed. Probably in the same spot
as desktop-file-utils would be fine.

--
Dan