Gnome 2.18 (from the BLFS-Support list)

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 17:21:44 PDT 2007

On 7/19/07, Randy McMurchy <randy at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> 1. I no longer find the need to use the hicolor-icon-theme package.
> Though I didn't get much time to test GNOME-2.18.2 before I rebuilt
> my test machine and started into 2.18.3 (which isn't complete as of
> this minute). Did you need to install the hicolor-icon-theme package?
>
> Dan, do you have comment here?

I believe it's not necessary, but helpful. hicolor-icon-theme installs
a theme index file at /usr/share/icons/hicolor/index.theme. In turn,
many gnome applications add icons to the hicolor directory and then
run gtk-update-icon-cache during installation. Reading
gtk-update-icon-cache(1), it seems the cache file is generated from
the index.theme file. The cache then saves runtime looking up icons.

You can see this if you run, e.g., eog under strace. Of course, if
your prefix for gnome isn't /usr, then you probably don't have the
index.theme file in the same location.

--
Dan