A few notes on the book

Chris Staub chris at beaker67.com
Sat Jul 14 08:50:20 PDT 2007

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On 7/11/07, Chris Staub <chris at beaker67.com> wrote:
>
>> 2. Cairo does not actually require X to install. It really just needs
>> Fontconfig - it can be built without png, which requires adding
>> "--enable-png=no" to configure. This would also necessitate modifying
>> that GTK+-2 instructions to specify that GTK+-2 needs X. I still have
>> yet to test all the possibilities here - for example, GTK+-2 requires
>> Pango built with Cairo support, but since Cairo can be built without X,
>> will GTK still build if you install X at some point after Pango and
>> Cairo, or do both of them need to be built with X support as well?
>
> I suppose you're right, but it would be really sucky for 95% of the
> people here if they didn't at least have the xlib backend. I suppose
> it should be Recommended, though.
>
> For the gtk case, I don't think it would work to build X later. Both
> pango and gtk build specific backends for X. For gtk, you could only
> build the directfb backend to even get anything on Linux. With pango,
> you could only have the fontconfig/freetype backend.
>
> So, I suppose you could do the whole gtk/pango/cairo stack on
> directfb/freetype. Then I guess it would be Recommended not to do this
> to yourself (IMO). But you couldn't build X later and expect things to
> work. You'd need to rebuild the stack.
>
> --
> Dan

OK, just for the sake of experimentation I tried this...installed cairo,
then pango, then X, then tried building GTK-2. GTK configure worked
fine, but then make failed with errors about not finding various
"cairo_xlib" functions, so you do have to build cairo with X support for
GTK to work. I didn't try the fb support on either cairo or GTK though...