Xorg wget download links

taipan67 sysadm.taipan67 at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 13 08:24:50 PDT 2007

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> Currently, the Xorg pages have the download of the .wget lists in the
> commands section. This is different from the rest of the book where
> the downloads are at the head of the page and you're expected to have
> all necessary downloads before the commands start. I changed things a
> bit to be more consistent. Compare:
>
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/x/x7lib.html
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~dnicholson/blfs-xlinks/x/x7lib.html
>
> The wget list now appears in an Additional Downloads section. The
> alternative is to add another item to the Package Information, perhaps
> above Download MD5 sum. The other advantage of this change is that the
> wget list shows up as a hyperlink, making it easy to use a browser and
> find out what package versions are being used.
>
> Any opinions?
>
> --
> Dan

This will be out of sequence with the other posts in this thread, for
which i apologise, but i've had an alternative idea that i haven't seen
broached before...

Since readers are initially encouraged to download & use the wget-lists
on the "Introduction to Xorg" page, how about adding a code-block to
download all of them at once in the 'Setting up the Xorg Build
Environment' section, immediately after creating the xc-directory &
cd'ing into it. A loop like this, perhaps:-

for section in app data driver font lib proto util; do
   wget http://anduin.linuxfromscratch.org/files/BLFS/xorg/$section-7.2.wget
done

In that way, the upstream vs in-house issue isn't a factor, plus future
updates to the lists could be accommodated in the book by changing one
digit in the 'wget' line (i imagine). An additional 'wget' line for
section-specific md5sum-files could potentially go in the same loop, if
& when such files are available, but might be better-placed in the
current locations for continuity's sake...

The downside is that the files wouldn't be easily browseable online,
like the hyperlink option.

Can anybody see any glaring flaws in this idea that haven't occurred to me?

taipan