JDK version 6

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jul 13 05:20:17 PDT 2007

DJ Lucas wrote these words on 07/12/07 16:21 CST:

> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~dj/blfs-book-xsl/index.html
> or the book diff is also in my homedir. OOo-2.2.1 is there too.

As far as the JDK 6, here's some notes about your first cut:

1. The "official" build recipe from Sun says to use the JDK version 5
as the bootstrap JDK. I never tried to use version 6 as the bootstrap,
but since you have, and it builds, we may as well use it.

2. As you mention, the download URLs for the source need to be updated.

3. The GCC patch should probably be at a -2 revision level, indicating
a difference in your original.

4. CUPS is now a *required* dependency. You left that off.

5. I would prefer (my own preference, however, not required) if the 3
seds and 3 patches were placed in the main body of the instructions to
facilitate easy cut and paste. Then use the "command explanation"
section for the very fine text you created.

6. Best as I could tell, the 3 chmod commands after copying the image
into place are not necessary any longer. All the permissions seem
correct without them.

7. Is the Xinerma sed used on the binary installation not required
after building? Additionally, staticly is misspelled. Use statically.

8. The support text for this var (export BUILD_NUMBER="b02-u02") says
it is the same as Sun. Best as I can tell, Sun just uses "b2" or "b?"
with ? being a number. I'm going on info on the "build instructions"
page of the Sun site.

9. (This is only a pet peeve of mine, and has bothered me since I've
been building the JDK using BLFS instructions). I don't care for the
/opt/jdk/jdk path. I just use /opt/jdk-version-precompiled and
/opt/jdk-6u2. Then a link (/opt/jdk) to whatever version I'm using.

Hope this helps.

--
Randy

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.23] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
06:55:00 up 1 day, 2 min, 1 user, load average: 0.06, 0.11, 0.05