Xorg wget download links

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 17:17:19 PDT 2007

On 7/12/07, DJ Lucas <dj at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> Randy McMurchy wrote:
> > I wrote these words on 07/12/07 14:58 CST:
> >

> >> I think there should be a list of links, and I suppose the Wiki would
> >> be best for it, with a mention on the X pages that it can be found
> >> at <Wiki URL>. That way, a person can do it either way they choose.
> >>

> > Another thing we need to think about is the package updates. By creating
> > a list of actual download links (wherever it may be decided it goes) it
> > does create a bit of a burden on the Editor who does the Xorg updates
> > as it means updating two lists of files. We need DJ and Dan to provide
> > input as they've been the ones doing the Xorg work.
> >
> I'm not really sure my name belongs in that context, Dan has pretty much
> taken the ball and ran with it long ago.  As far as the wiki is
> concerned, and it's been a while since I put anything on the wiki, but
> it's at worst a 3 or 4 line script for formatting to update the wiki
> from the wget and md5 lists.  The toughest part is remembering to do it
> when the file lists change.  :-)

I was playing with this a bit. It's not too bad, but the problem is
that Xorg is such a big job as it is that the Wiki just seems like a
lot of extra effort. I'm not sure there's really a ton of benefit for
having individual links for each tarball. There are other things I
think that would be a lot more interesting to have on the Wiki.

--
Dan