Xorg wget download links

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 12:27:10 PDT 2007

On 7/12/07, taipan67 <sysadm.taipan67 at btinternet.com> wrote:
> Randy McMurchy wrote:
> > Dan Nicholson wrote these words on 07/12/07 13:27 CST:
> >

> >> What about in Additional Downloads vs. part of Package Information?
> >>

> > Because it is not an upstream file, I think it is probably best in
> > the "Additional Downloads" section. But that's just my take, perhaps
> > Bruce and others have comment as well.
> >

> I think the 'Package Information' section would be more appropriate,
> personally, perhaps with a title like "Wget download list-file"...

Well, Randy's point still kind of stands that this is something we
generate, not something from upstream. We'll see if there are any
other opinions.

> ...I also think it's a bit redundant having the same 'md5sum' link on
> every page. The ideal would be to split it into categories, & then each
> md5sum-file could be saved at the same time as the sources & used with
> the '-c' option to check the downloaded files en masse. I'm building
> Xorg-7.2 at the moment, & even if i was strictly adherring to the book &
> scripting each section, that 'md5sum -c' option would still spew out
> loads of annoying errors. As it is, i'm manually checking each package's
> md5sum as i go, because i'm building them selectively, one at a time
> (i'm including xcb to see how the updates go...).

Yeah, that's bothered me a bunch, too. Especially since the book tells
you to make separate subdirectories for each section: mkdir proto; cd
proto, etc. I could easily split the md5sums file up. Then we'd have
something like lib-7.2.wget, lib-7.2.md5, etc. As it is, it's sort of
a pain to generate the md5sums file, and I have a sort of managed
script to handle these details. The process gets a little easier every
time, but it's still kind of error prone.

Thoughts on that?

--
Dan