D-Bus/HAL + KDE?

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 06:11:31 PDT 2007

On 7/12/07, Jens Stroebel <drifter at bcsoft.de> wrote:
> Dan Nicholson wrote:
> > On 7/10/07, Jens Stroebel <drifter at bcsoft.de> wrote:
> >> As far as I can tell, the combination of
> >> dbus-1.0.2
> >> dbus-qt3-0.62
> >> dbus-glib-0.74
> >> hal-0.5.9
> >> qt-3.3.8
> >>
> >> builds fine and works with regards to KDE being able to offer device
> >> icons for appearingUSB sticks/CDs ....
> >
> > Great. If you wouldn't mind, could you see if you can swap out
> > dbus-qt3-0.62 for the one on the dbus-bindings page?
> >
> > http://people.freedesktop.org/~krake/dbus-1-qt3/dbus-1-qt3-0.7.tar.gz
> >
> > It would require you to rebuild kdebase to test it. When I tried
> > before, kdebase didn't like those bindings, which is why I rolled that
> > 0.62 snapshot.
>
>         I'm a little late, but ad a busy day yesterday...
>
> It seems to me like KDE-3 still does not like the new qt3 bindings...
> During the "configure" run, kdebase prints the following:
>
>         ================================================
> checking for the HAL... headers -I/usr/include/hal  libraries -L/usr/lib
> -lhal -lhal-storage
> checking for DBus... headers -I/usr/include/dbus-1.0
> -I/usr/lib/dbus-1.0/include libraries -L/usr/lib -
> ldbus-1
> checking for DBus-Qt3 bindings... searched but not found
> checking if the HAL backend for media:/ should be compiled... no
>         ================================================

Thanks for your help, Jens. That's what happened when I tested them,
too. Randy, how do you feel about using the snapshot I rolled a few
months ago for the D-Bus Qt3 bindings and putting it on anduin?

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~dnicholson/downloads/dbus-qt3-0.62.tar.bz2
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~dnicholson/downloads/dbus-qt3.txt

You can roll a snapshot yourself, but I don't think the ones on the
freedesktop page are going to work for us.

> I would guess that
>
> a) it's been a while since KDE-3.5.7 was released, the developers of it
>    probably didn't have to look at the newer bindings and make kdebase
>    recognise them
>
> b) all efforts of adaption to "the new things" like new xorg features,
>    newer D-Bus versions will be done in the developing KDE4, as KDE3,
>    while still the stable release version, is probably just maintained,
>    not worked upon to accomodate to new developments like KDE4 has to.
>
> I didn't talk to developers of KDE(y) though, so these are just guesses.

I'm not sure what those bindings are useful for, and honestly I don't
care too much. The snapshot I rolled comes from KDE's svn, and it
seemed to work. KDE4 will use the D-Bus Qt4 bindings straight from
Qt4, and we won't need to worry about this anymore.

--
Dan