D-Bus/HAL + KDE?

Jens Stroebel drifter at bcsoft.de
Thu Jul 12 03:16:11 PDT 2007

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On 7/10/07, Jens Stroebel <drifter at bcsoft.de> wrote:
>> As far as I can tell, the combination of
>> dbus-1.0.2
>> dbus-qt3-0.62
>> dbus-glib-0.74
>> hal-0.5.9
>> qt-3.3.8
>>
>> builds fine and works with regards to KDE being able to offer device
>> icons for appearingUSB sticks/CDs ....
>
> Great. If you wouldn't mind, could you see if you can swap out
> dbus-qt3-0.62 for the one on the dbus-bindings page?
>
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~krake/dbus-1-qt3/dbus-1-qt3-0.7.tar.gz
>
> It would require you to rebuild kdebase to test it. When I tried
> before, kdebase didn't like those bindings, which is why I rolled that
> 0.62 snapshot.

	I'm a little late, but ad a busy day yesterday...

It seems to me like KDE-3 still does not like the new qt3 bindings...
During the "configure" run, kdebase prints the following:

checking for the HAL... headers -I/usr/include/hal  libraries -L/usr/lib
-lhal -lhal-storage
checking for DBus... headers -I/usr/include/dbus-1.0
-I/usr/lib/dbus-1.0/include libraries -L/usr/lib -
ldbus-1
checking for DBus-Qt3 bindings... searched but not found
checking if the HAL backend for media:/ should be compiled... no

as opposed to the result when the 0.62 version of the qt bindings is
installed alongside of the newer dbus...

I would guess that

a) it's been a while since KDE-3.5.7 was released, the developers of it
   probably didn't have to look at the newer bindings and make kdebase
   recognise them

b) all efforts of adaption to "the new things" like new xorg features,
   newer D-Bus versions will be done in the developing KDE4, as KDE3,
   while still the stable release version, is probably just maintained,
   not worked upon to accomodate to new developments like KDE4 has to.

I didn't talk to developers of KDE(y) though, so these are just guesses.

		greets,
		  jens
drifter at bcsoft.de
			23.....56.......drifting
By caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, By the beans of Java
do thoughts acquire speed,  hands acquire shaking,  the shaking
becomes a warning, By caffeine alone do I set my mind in motion