A few notes on the book

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Wed Jul 11 20:09:09 PDT 2007

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> I would have updated the book *long* ago, except that
> I can't get anyone to confirm that the multibyte issue is, or is not
> an issue any longer.

It is not an issue, and in fact it wasn't an issue - sorry for falsely
raising it. The following basic tests of multibyte functionality pass in
the ru_RU.UTF-8 locale with both old and new tcsh:

1) Editing. Type: echo абвг (don't press Enter). Then try to remove some
Russian characters with the help of arrows and the Backspace key (FIXME:
make the Delete key usable). Verify that, when you press Enter, the
characters echoed are the same as those you didn't delete. Result:
Russian (and even Japanese) characters can be deleted and reinserted as
easy as English ones.

2) String length calculation (the results below are correct):

2
 > set a=абвг
 > echo $%a
4

So please update the tcsh version and remove the multibyte warning.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov