suggestion to use subversion 1.4.4 in blfs (a bit hacky still)

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jul 11 14:38:00 PDT 2007

Andreas Leuner wrote these words on 07/11/07 15:52 CST:

> I have recently installed an LFS and BLFS system on my box. Regarding
> subversion the book recommends installing version 1.3.1. Besides being more
> than 15 months old this version

Yes, we know how old it is. :-(

It was left in for the last stable release and nobody has updated
it yet. I've been meaning to, just haven't done it yet.

> The subversion configure script didn't find those three dependencies without
> their paths explicitly specified on the command line
> (--with-neon=/usr --with-apr=/usr --with-apr-util=/usr).

Yes, my scripts also use those, The --with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs
is used as well.

These were not used in the previous version as Neon and APR were
included with the Subversion tarball (though I never used those
included versions).

> Then it complained that neon-0.26.3 wouldn't work.

Yes, but --disable-neon-version-check takes care of that as
you mention later.

> I have not built the SWIG or java bindings so I can't promise they'll work
> fine.

Exactly why I haven't updated it yet. When I do SWIG I usually
build all the exits and it is a total PIA.

> Since subversion 1.4.4 allows using current versions of apr and neon it might
> now be possible to share these with apache 2.2.x

Since the beginning of our conversion to Subversion I've been doing
that. However, do note that Apache doesn't use Neon, so that isn't
an issue. However, as I said, I've been using the Apache APR since
the beginning, so that isn't really anything new.

And just for the sake of doing it (note BDB backend was disabled):

rml at rmlinux: ~/build > svn --version
svn, version 1.4.4 (r25188)
   compiled Jul  9 2007, 12:01:49

Copyright (C) 2000-2006 CollabNet.
Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.tigris.org/
This product includes software developed by CollabNet (http://www.Collab.Net/).

The following repository access (RA) modules are available:

* ra_dav : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV (DeltaV) protocol.
  - handles 'http' scheme
  - handles 'https' scheme
* ra_svn : Module for accessing a repository using the svn network protocol.
  - handles 'svn' scheme
* ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
  - handles 'file' scheme

--
Randy

16:27:00 up 13 days, 14:18, 1 user, load average: 0.12, 0.10, 0.03