A few notes on the book

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 10:51:51 PDT 2007

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On 7/11/07, Chris Staub <chris at beaker67.com> wrote:

>> 3. There is a redundancy in Freetype instructions for unpacking the
>> freetype-docs tarball. It says to do "--strip-components=2 -C docs", but
>>   it unpacks into the "docs" dir in the freetype source tree by default
>> anyway. This can be changed to just "--strip-components=1" without the
>> "-C", or alternatively a note saying that the freetype-docs tarball can
>> be unpacked from the same place as the freetype source tarball, and will
>> unpack into the same freetype-[version] dir.
>
> OK.

There is an inherent (documented in LFS Section 5.1) assumption made for
every package that the instructions given assume that you have done:

tar -xf <package-tarball>
cd <package-root>

Your first suggestion would be a good approach, but the second is a
deviation form the norm.  I would recommend the first alternative.