Video via web browsers

Jürg Billeter j at bitron.ch
Mon Jul 9 06:32:16 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-09 at 07:19 -0400, Joe Ciccone wrote:
> Dan Nicholson wrote:
> >

> > I use totem with the xine backend. The 2.18 version has some bugs in
> > it, but otherwise it works pretty well. I'm thinking of transitioning
> > to the gstreamer backend, but I like DVDs and they basically don't
> > work in that situation. But from my understanding the totem +
> > gstreamer plugin works very well.
> >
> I'm using the totem with the xine backend on x86 and the gstreamer
> backend on x86_64. The gstreamer doesn't seem to have support for a
> large number of video codecs right now. There is a plugin that is
> supposed to beable to use the mplayer codec files with gsteramer, but I
> had no luck with it. Atleast with the xine backend you're still able to
> use all of those codecs.

Have you installed recent versions of totem, all gstreamer components
and have you also installed gst-ffmpeg? gstreamer supports almost the
same set of codecs as mplayer when not using any binary codecs and those
are not that important anymore since WMV9/VC-1 is available in
gst-ffmpeg and mplayer; gstreamer/totem still has some more issues with
live streaming, as far as I can tell, but it's getting there.

Jürg