Video via web browsers

Joe Ciccone jciccone at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 04:19:57 PDT 2007

Dan Nicholson wrote:

> I use totem with the xine backend. The 2.18 version has some bugs in
> it, but otherwise it works pretty well. I'm thinking of transitioning
> to the gstreamer backend, but I like DVDs and they basically don't
> work in that situation. But from my understanding the totem +
> gstreamer plugin works very well.

I'm using the totem with the xine backend on x86 and the gstreamer
backend on x86_64. The gstreamer doesn't seem to have support for a
large number of video codecs right now. There is a plugin that is
supposed to beable to use the mplayer codec files with gsteramer, but I
had no luck with it. Atleast with the xine backend you're still able to
use all of those codecs.