Video via web browsers

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Sun Jul 8 07:28:02 PDT 2007

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> I have been using mplayerplug-in http://mplayerplug-in.sourceforge.net/
> to play the occasional video in my browser, but it causes seamonkey to
> occasionally freeze requiring a kill/restart.  This behavior only
> happens after a video of some type is played.
>
> I am curious what others are using to view videos via their web browsers.

gxine comes with a mozilla plugin that launches an external copy of gxine.
Kaffeine has a working plugin for at least Konqueror. However, all
xine-based players offer suboptimal sound quality (crackling very noticeable
if the sampling rate is below 32 kHz but existing at all rates not equal to
48 kHz, see http://bugs.debian.org/396881), so I avoid them. I have not
tried mplayerplug-in.

The NoScript extension has a setting that places a clickable "block" tab
near all active elements (including videos). This tab is also
right-clickable, so one can copy-and paste the media URL into an external
player - that's what I use now. Of course, the same URL is available without
any extensions, in the Page Information box, on the Multimedia tab.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov