ed-0.6

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 11:28:33 PDT 2007

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Bruce Dubbs wrote these words on 07/04/07 13:02 CST:
>
>> OK.  Do you want me to update the book?
>
> Well, do you know anything about this caution that currently exists on
> the page? Perhaps we need to wait for Alexander to comment?

> Caution
>
> Ed determines character boundaries incorrectly in multibyte locales. See
> the Breaks Multibyte Characters section of the Locale Related Issues
> page for a more general discussion of this problem. Use of Ed in
> installation instructions for BLFS packages such as teTeX-3.0 is not a
> problem, as BLFS instructions never use Ed to modify a file containing
> non-ASCII characters.

I don't know much about multibyte locales, but I have looked at the
sources of ed.  The fixes are mostly to bring up the coding standards so
modern gcc versions don't complain.  The changes also address using the
insecure mktemp in ed-0.2.   I don't see anything in the sources that
would address multibyte locale issues.  This is consistent with the
ChangeLog.

We can wait for Alex to comment, but I would wager that the Caution
should remain as is.