ed-0.6

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 09:20:01 PDT 2007

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I remember reading somewhere (I believe it was a post from Alexander)
> that the ed-0.5 version had some compatibility problems. Version 0.6
> was released a few days ago which is supposed to address this (according
> to the ChangeLog, anyway).
>
> Has anyone managed to test this out with XorgLib? Should BLFS update
> to this 0.6 version?

Well the change log says:

2007-06-29  Antonio Diaz  <ant_diaz at teleline.es>

        * Version 0.6 released.
        * License updated to GPL version 3 or later.
        * Fixed two minor compatibility problems in signal.c.
        * Fixed an infinite loop when reading an empty script.

The files that change are:

COPYING
ChangeLog
NEWS
buf.c (copyright)
carg_parser.c (copyright)
carg_parser.h (copyright)
configure (minimal, no functionality change)
ed.h (copyright)
glbl.c (copyright)
io.c
  136,137c135,136
<   static char *ibuf;               /* ed command-line buffer */
<   static int ibufsz;               /* ed command-line buffer size */
---
>   static char *ibuf = 0;           /* ed command-line buffer */
>   static int ibufsz = 0;           /* ed command-line buffer size */

main.c (copyright in code and file)
main_loop.c (copyright)
re.c (copyright)

signal.c
86d84
<   signum = 0;                 /* keep compiler happy */
96a95
>   signum = 0;                 /* keep compiler happy */
105a105
> #ifdef SA_RESTART
106a107,109
> #else
>   new_action.sa_flags = 0;
> #endif
----------------------
Builds with:
configure --prefix=/usr
make
make install
make install-man
----------------------
`make install` Installs:
/usr/share/info/ed.info
/usr/bin/ed
cd /usr/bin ; ln ed red

`make install-man` Installs:
ed.1
cd /usr/share/man/man1 ; ln ed.1 red.1

`./ed </dev/null` no longer hangs

$ md5sum ed-0.6.tar.bz2
95ae976ffc36e5b881cc7a591628a9ce  ed-0.6.tar.bz2

Build time: less than 0.1 SBU
Build Size: 1.2M

The patch is no longer required.

I see no reason not to upgrade.