hal installation instructions: /var/cache/hald ?

Jens Stroebel drifter at bcsoft.de
Wed Jul 4 03:36:42 PDT 2007

			Hello.

While doing the upgrade hal-0.5.7.1 -> hal-0.5.9, hal was dying on me at
startup time. After half an hour of hand-wringing, I found out that it
couldn't find /var/cache/hald to place cache files in it and so simply
terminated.

It might be a good idea to add a line to the hal installation
instructions like:

Newer hal versions use a cache diretory to place runtime information
there, create it with
 mkdir -p /var/cache/hald && \
    chown haldaemon:haldaemon /var/cache/hald

Or somesuch.

		greets,
		   jens
drifter at bcsoft.de
			23.....56.......drifting
By caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, By the beans of Java
do thoughts acquire speed,  hands acquire shaking,  the shaking
becomes a warning, By caffeine alone do I set my mind in motion