XOrg-7.2 - libXcb

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jul 3 17:25:11 PDT 2007

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> Randy McMurchy wrote:
>

>> Only thing I can think of that I've seen in this thread is the decision
>> to move the DRI directory to /usr instead of $XORG_PREFIX. If DRI stuff
>> ships with Xorg, why would we want it somewhere other than $XORG_PREFIX?
>>

> OK, $XORG_PREFIX/lib/dri.
>
> However, the question is whether we want to have $XORG_PREFIX at all. The
> book currently says that FHS permits only /usr and /opt/xorg. However, the
> blfs-support list mentions some packages (e.g., links and openexr) that
> assume that "gcc -I/usr/X11R6/include" will find X include files, and there
> might be problems installing proprietary drivers when X is in /opt.

/usr is a matter of taste, and IMO is bad taste, but as I had mentioned
before, the FHS leaves privilege separation to the admin's best
judgment.  Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm perfectly capable of
deviating if I choose to do so.
> Has anyone actually built a system with Xorg in /opt and with no deviations
> from the book in packages (at least Qt and links) that use it? If not, I
> would have to say that /usr is the only supportable prefix and that we
> should remove the $XORG_PREFIX variable, because it only creates an illusion
> of choice.

I have previously installed Xorg in /opt/X11 with and without the
/usr/X11R6 symlink.  I am working on a system now without the symlink.
In every package that I've installed so far, it's been fine (ordered
list attached).  I have used the --x-includes and the --x-libraries
switches for Firefox and Thunderbird, and I really don't know if they
were even required.  The only other package I had supplied those flags
with was ffmpeg and the --x* switches were sufficient to find xv.
Again, I don't know if they were required as I'm just flying through a
2.18.2 Gnome build to test the assisted stuff with the latest JDK, but
so far no probs to speak of that weren't already accounted for.

While I admit $XORG_PREFIX is a little bit of a pain to maintain, I
personally will never do a /usr build of Xorg.  I simply _like_ it
separate.  If we were to ditch $XORG_PREFIX, I'd suggest /usr/X11R7 with
a prominent note about the FHS violation.  I'm sure that there are
others besides Randy and myself that feel the same.  Having said that, I
still would like to see the /usr/X11R6 symlink in place so that we can
rid ourselves of the seds in the book temporarily.  As long as there is
a mention of it being an FHS violation, I believe that is the best
possible way to sidestep the BBLFS issues that might pop up during this
'transitional period'; a borrowed term taken directly from FHS-2.3.   I
would expect that the FHS would be extended sometime in the (near?)
future as it specifically mentions the transition between X11R5 and
X11R6 as justification for /usr/X11R6.  It also might be nice if we
could find some discussion about that instead of relying on speculation,
I just don't know where to look yet.

-- DJ Lucas