XOrg-7.2 - libXcb

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jul 3 18:48:54 PDT 2007

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote these words on 07/03/07 20:28 CST:
> Randy McMurchy wrote:
>> Only thing I can think of that I've seen in this thread is the decision
>> to move the DRI directory to /usr instead of $XORG_PREFIX. If DRI stuff
>> ships with Xorg, why would we want it somewhere other than $XORG_PREFIX?
>
> OK, $XORG_PREFIX/lib/dri.
>
> However, the question is whether we want to have $XORG_PREFIX at all.

I believe we should.

> Has anyone actually built a system with Xorg in /opt and with no deviations
> from the book in packages (at least Qt and links) that use it? If not, I
> would have to say that /usr is the only supportable prefix and that we
> should remove the $XORG_PREFIX variable, because it only creates an illusion
> of choice.

I install Xorg in /opt/X11R7.2. I use /etc/X11R7.2 for the sysconfdir.
Then, I make the following symlinks:

`/usr/X11R6' -> `/opt/X11'
`/opt/X11' -> `X11R7.2'
`/etc/X11' -> `X11R7.2'

I modify PATH, PKGCONFIG, etc. to reflect the /usr/X11R6 path. By
doing this, I don't see *any* problems, as I'm using the original
tried-and-true paths that work.

Then, when I need/want to update/test a new Xorg version, I simply
increment my installation path in /opt and /etc and change two
symlinks. Instant modification *that works*. If the actual package
update doesn't work, then simply changing the two symlinks puts
things back as they were.

For this reason alone, the $XORG_PREFIX is valuable. At least IMHO.

--
Randy

20:37:00 up 5 days, 18:28, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.04, 0.06