XOrg-7.2 - libXcb

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Tue Jul 3 18:28:57 PDT 2007

Randy McMurchy wrote:

> Only thing I can think of that I've seen in this thread is the decision
> to move the DRI directory to /usr instead of $XORG_PREFIX. If DRI stuff
> ships with Xorg, why would we want it somewhere other than $XORG_PREFIX?

OK, $XORG_PREFIX/lib/dri.

However, the question is whether we want to have $XORG_PREFIX at all. The
book currently says that FHS permits only /usr and /opt/xorg. However, the
blfs-support list mentions some packages (e.g., links and openexr) that
assume that "gcc -I/usr/X11R6/include" will find X include files, and there
might be problems installing proprietary drivers when X is in /opt.

Has anyone actually built a system with Xorg in /opt and with no deviations
from the book in packages (at least Qt and links) that use it? If not, I
would have to say that /usr is the only supportable prefix and that we
should remove the $XORG_PREFIX variable, because it only creates an illusion
of choice.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov