XOrg-7.2 - libXcb

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Tue Jul 3 09:45:48 PDT 2007

Randy McMurchy wrote:

> I'm trying to follow this thread, but I'm a bit confused as to what
> exactly is broken. Is the bottom line that the BLFS instructions for
> installing Xorg-7.2 are broken and shouldn't be used?
>
> Or is eliminating libxcb a solution that works and has no affect on
> other packages down the road?

Eliminating libxcb just means staying with the old and tried code.

However, the existing Xorg-7.2 instructions should not be used, for reasons
unrelated to XCB. E.g., accelerated indirect rendering (AIGLX, needed for
beryl and compiz) won't work, because Mesa and Xorg disagree on the location
of DRI drivers. There may be other directory mismatches.

The LiveCD deviates a lot from the book and should not be treated as a proof
that it is correct. Moreover, it has its own bugs, probably caused by such
deviations (e.g., Xnest doesn't regenerate properly after the last client
exits).

--
Alexander E. Patrakov