XOrg-7.2 - libXcb

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Mon Jul 2 07:46:39 PDT 2007

Dan Nicholson wrote:

> I think it was the XCB developers to be exact, but same difference. I
> understand their argument, but the alternative isn't much better. I
> just read that Skype has the same locking issues. What would I do in
> that case? Even if I could convince the Skype people there was a bug,
> I'd have to wait until they made another release. And who knows when
> that would be.

Then, providing a patch that skips assertions conditionally, if an
environment variable is set, would be better - at least, it won't exclude
LFS users from potential bug reporters. The patch is (however, badly
damaged) at http://lists4.opensuse.org/opensuse-commit/2007-03/msg00176.html

Also please make it clear that this is a workaround and that the bugs are
not in libxcb, but in applications.

> Well, why don't I work on the 7.2 updates first? libX11-1.0.2 needs a
> patch, right?

Yes. AFAIK, this and
http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xorg/lib/libX11.git;a=commitdiff;h=c2f88cdf5cd9c94b77e5bfdac572b5ac06ab4aa8
are the only known brown paper bag bugs in this version.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov