XOrg-7.2 - libXcb

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 06:17:59 PDT 2007

On 6/30/07, Alexander E. Patrakov <patrakov at ums.usu.ru> wrote:
> Matthew Burgess wrote:
>
> > 3) Is there a reason XCB was not added to the book?  (It needs the
> > libpthread-stubs package and xsltproc from a quick look at the dependencies).
>
> Yes - Java and internal Xorg problems. E.g., with libXi 1.0.2 (that comes
> with stock Xorg-7.2 without updates) any program using the XINPUT extension
> (e.g., Xdmx) would print a message about a failed assertion if you attempt
> to run it against an X server that doesn't support this extension.
>
> XCB merely exposes locking bugs in other applications. But, since there are
> such bugs even in Xorg itself, and there is not enough time and developers
> to collect/confirm the fixes and make sure that we collected all of them,
> the decision has been made to discourage the use of XCB for Xorg-7.2.

I think we should just push in XCB, but disable the assertions since I
don't think we can track down all these issues yet. Attached patch is
what I'm sitting on + CPPFLAGS=-DNDEBUG for libxcb. What do you guys
think?

I'll also start making the Xorg-7.2 updates soon. Just have been busy
at work and travelling.

--
Dan