RP-PPPoE and Iptables

david567 david567 at windstream.net
Mon Dec 31 04:22:23 PST 2007

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> 2007/12/30, david567 <david567 at windstream.net>:
>> I think Iptables should be recommended or even required for RP-PPPoE.

I did check this.  You do not get a usable network choosing firewall
when you have not installed Iptables.

> On the contrary, I think that RP-PPPoE should be dropped from the book. See
> http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/wiki/PPP to learn how to
> establish a PPPoE connection without RP-PPPoE, and that's how the
> LiveCD works.

Yes, that works.  Note: the wiki has a missing '<':
cat >/usr/bin/pcall <"EOF"
                      ^

Also to give credit, the /etc/ppp/peers/pppoe should read:
# 'Roaring Penguin' pppoe plugin is included in the ppp distribution.
# There is no need to install the rp-pppoe package.

I hacked the BLFS pppoe service to use the start/stop commands the wiki
suggests.  Everything works as expected.

I think removing RP-PPPoE is a valid suggestion.  Perhaps just a pointer
to the wiki in 'Other Connections'.

---
David Jensen