bind (ticket #2409)

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 07:52:08 PST 2007

On Dec 18, 2007 6:23 AM, Christian Wurst <christian.wurst at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 17, 2007 7:12 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Have you checked how distros like Ubuntu and Fedora do it?
>
> Um, no. Actually I don't have any idea how to easily check this. May I
> ask for a hint please?

IMO, fedora is the easiest to check through their viewcvs. Most likely
you want to be looking at the devel (Rawhide) branch.

http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewcvs/devel/bind/

Then you want to look at the spec file and try to figure out if they
do anything with /dev/random.

http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewcvs/devel/bind/bind.spec?view=markup

In this case, it looks like they have a script that creates
/dev/random in the bind chroot (among other things).

http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewcvs/devel/bind/bind-chroot-admin.in?view=markup

In other projects and on mailing lists, I've seen people argue that if
you have /dev/urandom, you should use it. I think that for people that
care, they'll see the part about /dev/random and do what they think is
right. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you have a really
compelling reason for one or the other.

For getting info from Debian/Ubuntu, it's a little bit more of a pain
(in my opinion). You have the original tarball, and then all the other
junk gets shipped in a .diff.gz file which unpacks into a debian
directory in the source tree.

http://ftp.debian.org/pool/main/b/bind9/bind9_9.4.2.orig.tar.gz
http://ftp.debian.org/pool/main/b/bind9/bind9_9.4.2-1.diff.gz

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/b/bind9/bind9_9.4.2.orig.tar.gz
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/b/bind9/bind9_9.4.2-1.diff.gz

In this case, the ubuntu package is the same as debian. If there were
any ubuntu changes, you'd see a ubuntu in the release number for the
diff.gz. Something like bind9_9.4.2-1ubuntu2.diff.gz.

Gentoo also has some nice online tools, once you can figure out where
a package is located.

http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py
http://www.gentoo-portage.com/

--