bind (ticket #2409)

Christian Wurst christian.wurst at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 09:43:47 PST 2007

Hi all,

I'm working on a patch adressing the chmod command in the current bind
installation instructions (ticket #2409). So far I removed the outer
curly brackets, which solves the "no such file or directory" error
reported by Moody.

He also suggests in the ticket to use /dev/urandom in the rndc-confgen
statement. After reading the urandom man page I'm not sure if this is
a good idea. As far as I understand it this is only an issue if
/dev/random runs out of entropy. I have no idea how likely this is to
happen, even without the random init script from the book which helps
here, as far as I understand it. The man page also states that
/dev/urandom might be vulnerable to cryptography attacks.

I would like to submit a patch which adresses both, but I need help
with the urandom suggestion. Any thoughts about this, i.e. shall we
use urandom or leave it like it is and use random?

Regards, Christian