xfsprogs-2.9.4-1

Christian Wurst christian.wurst at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 14:28:35 PST 2007

Hi!

First of all I hope I'm writing to the right list, apologies if this
isn't the case.

I've been building (B)LFS systems for quite some time now and I
thought it would be cool to contribute something. I noticed that there
is a new version of XFSprogs out there but the BLFS-book still uses
the old one, which isn't even availible for download anymore (see also
ticket# 2411). The last time I updated my box (LFS 6.3, BLFS 6.2.0) I
already used the new version (2.9.4-1) and it compiled fine using the
commands for version 2.9.3. Creating a new filesystem worked too, no
errors so far. So I thought this would be a good opportunity to help
keeping the book up to date.

Right now I am working my way through the BLFS editors guide and a few
questions arose:

1.) Calculating the SBUs for the new package: The time-program reports
3 different times as I'm sure you know. I think I should use the
"user" time, correct?

2.) Is the md5 sum of the package simply calculated by invoking
"md5sum xfsprogs-2.9.4-1.tar.gz"? I didn't find any md5 values at the
download location, but maybe I overlooked something.

3.) I've never worked with svn before, so the last question is about
editing the xml-sources of the book: As far as I understand it, in my
case I only would have to edit BOOK/postlfs/filesystems/xfs.xml
(change md5 sum, build size, SBU, etc.) and the BOOK/general.ent file
(update xfsprogs-version). Then I run "svn diff >  xfsprogs.patch" and
mail it to the list. If I "svn up" the next time my changes would be
overwritten by the current file versions of the server, right?

4.) Is there anything else I should do before sending in a diff-file?
Maybe there are some tests which are usually done or something else I
don't know...

Thanks in advance for your help,

Christian